Development of Minamata Initial Assessment and National Action Plan for Artisanal And Small Scale Gold Mining in Sierra Leone.
- Raise awareness of policy makers and the general public on mercury menace and its environmental and health concerns and the need for national action.
- Provide an overview of the Minamata Convention on Mercury
- EPA highlights the national status on Mercury management and the various roles that Sierra Leone played during the negotiations.
- Explain the objectives of the Project on MIA/NAP project and define the roles of partners – UNEP, UNITAR, EPA and the local stakeholders
- Establish a National Coordination Mechanism (NCM) and Stakeholder Advisory Group (SAG) and respective chairs confirmed
- Draft project activity plans
- Government line Ministries and Agencies, selected key industry, Civil Society and Academia
- NCM and SAG established
- Operational TORs for NCM and SAG reviewed and approved and respective Chairs elected
- Project activity plans developed
- Workshop report and recommendations
Source for image: http://www.thisissierraleone.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/diamonds-in-sierra-leone.jpg